By Don Heckman
- Nov. 24. (Tues.) Bob Mintzer’s Big Band. Mintzer’s a high visibility saxophonist with the Yellowjackets, but he’s also a first rate big band arranger and composer. All those skills will be on display in this rare appearance with a full ensemble. Vibrato Grill Jazz…etc. (310) 474-9400.
- Nov. 24. (Tues.) John Pisano. “Brazil Night” — with Federico Ramos, guitar, Jose Marino, bass, Enzo Todesco, drums — offers an entertaining variation on Pisano’s weekly Guitar Night programs. Spazio. (818) 728-8400.
- Nov. 24. (Tues.) Jon Mayer Trio and Pete Christlieb. Pianist Mayer and saxophonist Christlieb are stellar members of the Southland’s world class array of jazz artists. They perform with Chris Connor, bass, Roy McCurdy, drums. Charlie O’s. (818) 989-3110.
- Nov. 25. (Wed.) April Williams & Friends. “The Night Before Thanksgiving Hang” – a laid-back evening of briskly swinging jazz to kick off the holiday weekend. With April Williams, vocals, Andy Langham, piano, Dave Stone, bass, Don Williams, drums and Bob Sheppard, reeds. Upstairs at Vitellos. (818) 769-0905.
- Nov. 25. (Wed.) The Banda Brothers. Latin jazz meets Thanksgiving at the Brothers’ 10th Annual Turkey Bash. Steamers. (714) 871-8800.
- Nov. 27 & 28. (Fri. & Sat.) Jack Sheldon Big Band. Sheldon celebrates his birthday with an evening of his inimitable trumpet and vocals, backed by his swinging collection of big band all-stars. Catalina Bar & Grill (323) 466-2210.
- Nov. 28. (Sat.) Dr. Richard Allen Williams Quintet. A physician and a college professor, Williams nonetheless finds time to play the trumpet with probing musical inventiveness. (818) 728-8400. Spazio.
- Nov. 29. (Sun.) Alan Broadbent and Pat Senatore Duo. Broadbent’s piano playing, with its rich compositional foundation and lyrical touch blend superbly with the steady foundation and solid swing of bassist Senatore. Vibrato Grill Jazz…etc. (310) 474-9400.
- Nov. 27 – 29. (Fri. – Sun.) Joe Sample and Lalah Hathaway. The veteran pianist and founder of the Jazz Crusaders reaches across the generations to musically blend with singer/songwriter (and daughter of Donny Hathaway) Lalah Hathaway. Yoshi’s Oakland. (510) 238-9200.
- Nov. 27 – 29. (Fri. – Sun.) Tuck & Patti. The guitar and vocal duo’s deep musical intimacy has been producing irresistible sounds for decades. Yoshi’s San Francisco. (415) 655-5600.
- Nov. 27 - 29. (Fri. – Sun.) Loretta Devine:” Night Devine.” One of the original stars of Dreamgirls, Devine’s acting career has embraced a wide array of films (among them, Waiting To Exhale, Crash) and television roles (including Grey’s Anatomy and Boston Public). Here’s a rare chance to hear this dynaimc singer in an up close club setting. The Rrazz Room at the Hotel Nikko. (415) 394-1189.
- Nov. 24. (Tues.) Terese Genecco and Her Little Big Band. Genecco’s quest to keep the jaunty rhythms of swing alive is enhanced by the guest star presence of veteran trumpeter Lew Soloff. Iridium. (212) 582.2121.
- Nov. 24 – 28. (Tues. – Sat.) The New York Voices celebrate their 20th anniversary with a collection of lush vocal harmonies and upbeat swing. Birdland. (212) 581-3080.
- Nov. 24 – 29. (Tues. – Sun.) Renee Rosnes Quartet. A musicians’ musician, pianist Rosnes has played with almost everybody over the past twenty years. But she still doesn’t receive the acknowledgement her impressive talents deserve She performs with Jimmy Green, sax, Sean Smith, bass, Lewis Nash, drums. Village Vanguard. (212) 255-4037.
- Nov. 24, 25 and 26 – 29. (Tues, Wed. and Fri. – Sun.) Maria Schneider Orchestra. Schneider’s compositions continue to expand the palette of the large jazz ensemble, and they’re performed by an A-list musical aggregation. The Jazz Standard. (212) 447-7733.
- Nov. 24 – 28. (Tues. – Sat.) Bucky Pizzarelli/Ken Peplowski Quintet. Mainsream jazz at its best, with the master of the seven string guitar and the guy who’s helping keep the jazz clarinet alive. Dizzy’s Club Coca-Cola. (212) 258-9595.
- Nov. 27 – 29. (Fri. – Sun.) Dave Brubeck Quartet. A rare opportunity to hear one of jazz’s iconic figures, in action in a club setting. The Blue Note. (212) 475-8592.