By Don Heckman
- May 10 & 11. (Thurs. & Fri.) Peter Eldridge: Foolish Hearts. Grammy winning pianist/vocalist Eldridge is joined by bassist Matt Aronoff for an intimate musical excursion through originals and standards. Vitello’s. (818) 769-0905.
- May 10 – 12. (Thurs. – Sat.) The Los Angeles Philharmonic. Gustavo Dudamel conducts a sparkling evening of Mozart (the Overture to Le Nozze di Figaro and the Posthorn Serenade), and a featured appearance by young virtuoso violinist Alina Pogostkina performing Distant Light by Latvian composer Peteris Vasks. Disney Hall. (323) 850-2000.
- May 10 – 13. (Thurs. – Sun.) Kenny Garrett Quintet. Cutting edge alto saxophonist Garrett makes his musical intentions clear when he says, “Don’t look for me to sound like my last record.” Catalina Bar & Grill. (323) 466-2210.
- May 11. (Fri.) Danny Janklow. Rapidly rising jazz alto saxophonist Janklow is backed by solid support from the trio of pianist Theo Saunders, bassist Pat Senatore and drummer Jimmy Branley. Vibrato Grill Jazz…etc. (310) 474-9400.
- May 12. (Sat.) Kristin Chenowith. Emmy and Tony Award winner Chenowith, a Broadway star of the highest voltage, launches her debut world tour with a stop at the Greek Theatre. (323) 665-5857.
- May 12 (Sat.) John Pizzarelli Quartet with Jane Monheit. What a great pairing – the loose, swinging guitar playing and jaunty vocals of Pizzarelli combining perfectly with the gorgeous sound and soaring intimacy of Monheit’s singing. Valley Performing Arts Center. (818) 677-3000.
- May 9 – 12. (Wed. – Sat.) Steve Kuhn, Steve Swallow and Joey Baron. There’s a lot of musical history between pianist Kuhn and bassist Swallow, and it all pays off musically with the dynamic addition of drummer Baron. Birdland. (212) 581-3080.
- May 9 – 13. (Wed. – Sun.) The Dizzy Gillespie All-Star Big Band. Paquito Rivera conducts an assemblage of the Big Apple’s finest jazz talent in a program celebrating the memory and the music of the incomparable Gillespie. The Blue Note. (212) 475-8592.
- May 10 – 13. (Thurs. – Sun.) Paula West. “A Tribute To George Mesterhazy.” The superb San Francisco-based jazz singer, never fully appreciated for her extraordinary talents, performs in honor of her late accompanist, musical director and close friend. The Jazz Standard. (212) 576-2232.
- May 9 – 12. (Wed. – Sat.) The Kyle Eastwood Band. Bassist Eastwood, an impressive talent who seems to improve with every outing, bringing some tough, straight ahead qualities to a listenable contemporary sound. Ronnie Scott’s. 020 7439 0747.
- May 10. (Thurs.) Ernie Watts Quartet. The saxophone playing jazz pride of Los Angeles displays his considerable talents – on tenor and soprano – with a trio of first rate European players. The Blue Note Milano. 02.69.01.68.88.
- May 10 – 12. (Thurs. – Sat.) STAX!. The incomparable groove of the famous Stax sound is alive and well in the gifted hands of veterans Steve Cropper, guitar, Duck Dunn, bass and Eddie Floyd, drums. Blue Note Tokyo. 03-5485-0088.