By the iRoM Staff
With only a few short days between Christmas and New Year’s Eve, and with numerous clubs (especially in Europe) closed for the holiday week, we’ve decided to concentrate this week’s Picks on the celebratory musical pleasures of bringing in 2013.
NEW YEAR’S EVE (DEC. 31)
– Dec. 26 – 31. (Wed. – Mon.) Jane Monheit. Monheit’s glorious voice and briskly swinging style make a welcome return holiday visit to the club that perfectly showcases her many talents. Catalina Bar & Grill. (323) 466-2210.
– Dec. 31. (Mon.) Frank Stallone. Grammy and Golden Globe nominated actor/singer Stallone is an entertaining performer, with material reaching from standards to his own originals. Vitello’s. (818) 769-0905.
– Dec. 31. (Mon.) Idina Menzel. Tony Award-winning singer/actress Menzel, the star of Broadway’s Wicked, was also in the original production of Rent. Disney Hall. (323) 850-2000.
– Dec. 31. (Mon.) Don Randi and Quest. Keyboardist Randi – who also owns the Baked Potato – has played on hundreds of recording sessions and numerous hit recordings. Here he celebrates the holiday with his own band, in his own venue, with many special guests. The Baked Potato. (818) 980-1615.
– Dec. 31. (Mon.) Anna Mjoll. Iceland’s gift to jazz continues to affirm her vocal jazz authenticity with every performance. Vibrato Grill Jazz…etc. (310) 474-9400.
– Dec. 31. (Mon.) Vardan Ovsepian Chamber Ensemble with special guest David Binney. Armenia-born pianist Ovsepian brings a view to jazz that is colorfully enhanced by his classical and Eastern European background. Blue Whale. (213) 620-0908.
– Dec. 28 – 31. (Fri. – Mon.) Pete Escovedo & Sons Latin Jazz Orchestra. Expect musical fireworks and an exciting transition to 2013 while enjoying the irresistible rhythms of the Escovedo family. Yoshi’s Oakland. (510) 238-9200.
– Dec. 28 – 31. (Fri. – Mon.) Maceo Parker’s Funky New Year’s Party. James Brown and the Funkadelics wouldn’t have been quite the same without the funk-driven saxophone of Parker. He’s doing it on his own now, but he’s no less soulful than he was four decades ago. Yoshi’s San Francisco. (415) 655-5600.
– Dec. 26 – 31. (Wed. – Mon.) The Roy Hargrove Quintet. Trumpeter Hargrove continues to display his versatility in a busy touring schedule featuring his various groups. This time it’s his always exciting quintet. Jazz Showcase. t (312) 360-0234.
– Dec. 26 – 31. Wed. – Mon.) (Continuing through Sun. Jan. 6.) Chris Botti. Trumpeter Botti – whose dedicated following has made him one of the world’s most popular jazz artists – continues his annual long holiday run at the Blue Note. Don’t miss the chance to hear him up close and personal. Click HERE.To read iRoM’s review of Chris’s New Year’s Eve performance at the Blue Note in 2012 The Blue Note. (212) 475-8592.
– Dec. 31. (Mon.) The Mingus Big Band. What better way to celebrate the newly arriving year than with the ever-appealing music of Charles Mingus, performed accurately by the ensemble that continues to keep his classic jazz catalog alive. Jazz Standard. (212) 576-2232.
– Dec. 31. (Mon.) Wynton Marsalis Meets Vince Giordano. Trumpeter Marsalis honors one of his great influences with The Louis Armstrong Continuum – Music of the Hot Fives and the Hot Sevens. Dizzy’s Club Coca Cola. (212) 258-9800.
– (Dec. 27 – 31). Thurs. – Mon.) Monty Alexander. Jamaican-born pianist Alexander brings it all together – convincing bebop, a solid blues foundation and gently floating Caribbean rhythms. Blues Alley. (202) 337-4141.