By Don Heckman
– July 31. (Wed.) Props to Pops: Dr. John’s Tribute to Louis Armstrong. An entertaining blend of old and new jazz, tinged with a New Orleans touch. Featured guests include Dee Dee Bridgewater, Terence Blanchard, Arturo Sandoval and more. The Hollywood Bowl. (323) 850-2000.
– July 31. (Wed.) Tom Ranier Trio. Pianist Ranier takes a break from his busy studio work to showcase his impressive jazz skills. He’ll be backed by Abe Laboriel, bass and Steve Schaeffer, drums. Vitello’s. (818) 769-0905.
– Aug. 2. (Fri.) Chicago, The Band. The Grammy winning, multi-platinum band from the ‘60s is going strong. Expect to hear such hits as “Just You ‘n’ Me,” “25 Or 6 To 4,” “Saturday In The Park,” “You’re The Inspiration” and more. The Greek Theatre. (323) 665-5857.
– Aug. 2. (Fri.) Tony Bennett. Bennett’s in his ‘80s, but he is still one of the great performers, singing at the top of his game. Don’t miss this one. Hollywood Bowl. (323) 850-2000.
– Aug. 2 & 3. (Fri. & Sat.) Arturo Sandoval Big Band. He plays magnificent trumpet, exciting percussion, impressive piano and sings, as well. Hopefully he’ll be doing all that with his stellar big band. Catalina Bar & Grill.(223) 466-2210.
– Aug. 2 & 3. (Fri. & Sat.) Julie Esposito. The versatile Ms. Esposito takes a break from her attorney responsibilities to sing an autobiographical program of songs written in her lifetime. The selections embrace pop, Broadway and contemporary jazz, from Sondheim to Nilsson and beyond. The Gardenia. (323) 467-7444.
– Aug. 3. (Sat.) Diana Ross. Like Tony Bennett, Ross – on the cusp of 70 — continues to sing superbly. She, too, is an artist who should be heard at every opportunity. Hollywood Bowl. (323) 850-2000.
– Aug. 3. (Sat.) Gary Foster Quartet. Alto saxophonist Foster has been a first call player for decades. But he’s also a jazz artist of the first rank. Vibrato Grill Jazz…etc. (310) 474-9400.
– Aug. 3. (Sat.) Trevor McShane. Ssinger/songwriter McShane, aka Neville Johnson, is an attorney who has been pursuing his musical ambitions since the release of his first album in 2000. Witz End. (310) 395-4792.
– Aug. 3. (Sat.) Gipsy Kings. They’ve been developing their unique approach to new flamenco music, spiced with pop, salsa and rumba since the ‘70s. The Greek Theatre. (323) 665-5857.
– Aug. 4. (Sun.) Cheryl Bentyne Trio. Back in action after some difficult medical problems, Bentyne displays her far-reaching musical skills with her own trio before heading back to her long-time gig with the Manhattan Transfer. Yoshi’s Oakland. (510) 238-9200.
– Aug. 2 – 4. (Fri. – Sun.) John Pizzarelli Quartet with Bucky Pizzarelli. Here’s a rare opportunity to hear talented father and son in action. Dad Bucky has been a much-admired guitarist for decades; son John continues to follow in Dad’s footsteps, adding his own fine vocal skills to the mix. Jazz Alley. (206) 441-9729.
New York City
– July 30 – Aug. 3. (Tues. – Sat.) Pablo Ziegler’s “Tango Conexio” with Special Guest Stefon Harris should result in the discovery of some intriguing connections between jazz and tango. Birdland. (212) 581-3080.
– Aug. 1. (Thurs.) Susan Werner. Singer/songwriter Werner applies her wry humor and passionate voice to a celebration of her new CD, Hayseed — a collection of songs dedicated to her parents, grandparents and great grandparents, paying tributes to farmers everywhere. Joe’s Pub. (212) 539-8778.
– Aug. 1. (Thurs.) Joao Bosco. Guitarist/composer Bosco’s playing has been described – with good cause – as among the most auspicious in Brazilian music.” Paris New Morning. +33 1 45 23 51 41.
– Aug. 2 & 3. (Fri. & Sat.) Kenny Barron and George Mraz. It’s a rare and promising musical encounter between two of the jazz world’s most gifted, veteran artists. They’re not together often, so don’t miss this one. Jazzhus Montmartre. +45 31 72 34 94.
– Aug 1 & 2. (Thurs. & Fri.) Joyce. Singer/songwriter Joyce (who occasionally performs using her last name – Moreno – as well) has been pioneering the amiable linkages between jazz and Brazilian music since the late ‘60s. Tokyo Blue Note. +81 3-5485-0088.
..* * * * * * * *
Dr. John photo by Tony Gieske.
Arturo Sandoval photo by Bonnie Perkinson.
Cheryl Bentyne photo by Faith Frenz.