By Don Heckman
It’s another hot week, with a lot of venues still in the midst of their Summer hiatuses. But there’s still some fine, selective music to hear.
– July 29. (Tues.) Amanda McBroom and George Ball. Musical theatre and cabaret star Amanda McBroom and actor/singer George Ball present a program of classic songs. Catalina Bar & Grill. (323) 466-2210.
– July 30. (Wed.) Lola Haag, Mark Massey and Friends. The sultry voice of Lola Haag is backed by the jazz piano stylings of Mark Massey and his stellar group. Steamers7. (714) 871-8800.
– July 31. (Thurs.) Chuck Manning & Steve Huffsteter Quartet. A pair of Los Angeles’ world class jazz artists – saxophonist Manning and trumpeter Huffsteter take a break from their busy bookings as sidemen to step into the spotlight. They perform in a piano-less quartet with bassist Pat Senatore and drummer Matt Gordy. Vibrato Grill Jazz…etc. (310) 474-9400.
– Aug. 1 – 3. (Fri. – Sun.) “Hair.” The classic rock musical of the sixties takes over the Bowl for a rare three night run. A must-see for all boomers. Hollywood Bowl. (323) 850-2000.
– Aug. 2. (Sat.) Strunz & Farah. The dynamic guitar duo of Costa Rica’s Jorge Strunz and Iran’s Ardeshir Farah are back, making a second L.A. appearance in the past two weeks. Don’t miss them. Catalina Bar & Grill. (323) 466-2210.
(July 31 – Aug. 3.(Thurs. – Sun.) Vinicius Cantuaria Sings Jobim. Guitarist/singer Canturia, one of bossa nova’s most authentic interpreters, illuminates the Antonio Carlos Jobim catalog of songs. SFJAZZ event at Joe Henderson Lab. (866) 920-5299.
– Aug. 1 & 2. (Friday & Sat.) Melba Moore. Grammy-nominated, Tony-Award winning r&b, soul, and blues singer Moore is a master of contemporary pop music styles with hits reaching back to the ’70s. Blues Alley. (202) 337-4141.
New York City
– July 31 – Aug. 3. (Thurs. – Sun.) The legendary Count Basie Orchestra. The irresistible rhythms and big band classics of the Count Basie Orchestra live on, with trumpeter Scotty Barnhart leading the way. The Blue Note. (212) 475-8592.
– July 28 – Aug. 2 (Mon. – Sat.) The Average White Band. Four decades after their hit-making years of the ’70s and ’80s, the Scottish Average White Band is still playing their soul, r&b and funk classics. Two original members – Alan Gorrie and Onnie McIntyre – are still present, along with three new members from the U.S. Ronnie Scott’s. +44 (0)20 7439 0747.
Aug. 1 ;& 2. (Fri. & Sat.) The Roy Hargrove Quintet. Versatile trumpeter Hargrove steps away from his big band to lead a swinging quintet of jazz stars. Paris New Morning. +33 1 45 23 51 41.
- July 29. ( Tues.) The Preservation Hall Jazz Band. The classic sounds of New Orleans jazz are alive and well in the swinging playing of the preservation Hall Jazz Band. The Blue Note Tokyo. +81 3-5485-0088.