By Don Heckman
– April 29. (Tues.) Nouveau Stride. Lorraine Feather and Stephanie Trick. Singer/songwriter Feather and stride pianist Trick combine their considerable talents for an evening inspired by the music of Fats Waller, James P. Johnson and Dick Hyman. Vibrato Grill Jazz…etc. (310) 474-9400.
– April 29. (Tues.) Chamber Music Society: All Mozart. Members of the Los Angeles Philharmonic combine in an appealing program of Mozart classics, including the Flute Quartet in D, the String Quartet No. 19, the Wind Serenade in C minor and the String Quartet in D. A guaranteed performance to remember for all Mozart fans. Disney Hall. (323) 850-2000.
– April 29. (Tues.) Eric Reed Quartet. Pianist Reed first became familiar to jazz audiences via his remarkable jazz talents when he was still a teen-ager. Since then he has matured into one of the most significant jazz artists of his generation. Catalina Bar & Grill. (223) 466-2210.
* * * * * * * *
- April 30. (Wed,) Teka. Born in Brazil, singer/guitarist Teka’s music blends a fusion of the sensual rhythms and harmonies of Brazil with the sophistication and improvisation of jazz – a fascinating musical blend she calls New Bossa. She currently does most of her performing in Santa Barbara and the Central Coast. So don’t miss this opportunity to hear Teka’s impressive vocal and instrumental skills in action. And be sure to click HERE to check out iRoM’s review of her latest CD. The Gardenia. (323) 467-7444.
* * * * * * * *
- May 3. (Sat.) Tuck & Patti. The team of guitarist Tuck and singer Patti, partners in music and in life have been producing memorable performances together for several decades. Click HERE to read a previous iRoM review of the dynamic duo. Catalina Bar & Grill. (223) 466-2210.
- May 4. (Sun.) Deana Martin. She’s Dean Martin’s daughter, and the creative acorn didn’t fall far from the tree. But Deana, in addition to her familiarity with the classic songs favored by her Dad, has throughly established herself as a significant talent in her own right. Click HERE to read a previous iRoM review of Deana Martin. Vibrato Grill Jazz…etc. (310) 474-9400.
- April 29 & 30. (Tues. & Wed.) The Fred Hersch Trio. Pianist Hersch is not only a veteran jazz performer, he’s also an improvising artist who brings uniquely imaginative ideas to every thing he plays.Click HERE to read a previous iRoM review of Fred Hersch. Jazz Alley. (206) 441-9729.
- May 1 – 4. (Thurs. – Sun,) Cyrus Chestnut Trio. Pianist Chestnut displays his belief in the gospel and soul roots of jazz in compelling fashion. Jazz Showcase. 312) 360-0234.
- May 1 – 4. (Thurs. – Sun.) John Pizzarelli. He sings and plays the guitar with the same kind of creative blend one recalls from the work of Nat “King” Cole. But he does so with his own inventive expressiveness. Blues Alley. (202) 337-4141.
New York City
- May 1 – April 29 – May 4. (Tues,. – Sun.) Steve Kuhn Trio. With bassist Steve Swallow and drummer Joey Baron. Kuhn’s long, impressive career reaches from the new ideas of the ’60s (when he played with John Coltrane) to his equally imaginative work in the new millenium. Birdland. (212) 581-3080.
- April 30 – May 3. (Wed. – Sat.) Frank Sinatra Jr.“Sinatra Sings Sinatra.”Yes, it really is “Sinatra Sings Sinatra,” but Junior does it with more authenticity than any of the current Sinatra wannabes. Ronnie Scott’s. +44 (0)20 7439 0747.
- May 2 & 3. (Fri. & Sat.) Sinne Eeg. Denmark’s gift to jazz singing, Sinne is a major talent, who still has not received the accolades and recognition that her remarkable abilities deserve. To read a previous iRoM review of Sinne click HERE. Jazzhus Montmartre. (+45) 70 263 267.
- May 2 – 4. (Fri. – Sun.) Dee Dee Bridgewater. Grammy and Tony award winning singer Bridgewater has been displaying her considerable vocal talents since the early ’70s, and she’s still going strong. Don’t miss her; she’s the real deal. Blue Note Tokyo. +81 3-5485-0088.
* * * * * * * *
Deana Martin photo by Faith Frenz.