By Don Heckman
Electricity and internet problems in iRoM land prevented the posting of a full week of International Picks. But now we finally have enough power and web access to list some Picks of the Weekend here in L.A. Next week, Picks of the Week will be back on track with our global overview.
– May 3. (Fri.) Billy Childs Allstar Jazz. Pianist Childs is constantly in search of new musical adventures. His All Star Jazz Group, with bassist Jimmy Johnson, drummer Joey Heredia and saxophonist/flutist Katisse Buckingham is his latest jaunt into new creative territory. The Baked Potato. (818) 980-1615.
– May 3. (Fri.) Brandon Fields. He’s been a first-call session saxophonist for decades, with a resume filled with stellar relationships. But Fields is a fine jazz artist in his own right, which will be self-evident in this headlining gig, backed by bassist Pat Senatore, drummer Mark Ferber, and pianist tba. Vibrato Grill Jazz…etc. http://www.vibratogrilljazz.com (310) 474-9400.
– May 3 & 4. (Fri. & Sat.) Andy Garcia and the Cine Son All Stars. An Academy Award-nominated actor, director and writer, Garcia has also had a fascinating parallel career as a convincing Latin jazz percussionist and musician. Here’s one of the rare opportunities to see him in high powered musical action. Catalina Bar & Grill. http://www.catalinajazzclub.com (323) 466-2210.
– May 3 – 5. (Fri. – Sun.) Dudamel, the Los Angeles Philharmonic and Lang Lang. It’s a world-class combination, performing Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concert No. 1. and Carl Nielsen’s Symphony No. 4. Disney Hall. http://www.laphil.com/tickets/dudamel-and-lang-lang/2013-05-02 (323) 850-2000.
– May 3 – 5. (Fri. – Sun.) Deana Martin. She’s had a career as an actress and a singer, with a top selling workout video. But her father’s memory is most present in her engaging singing style. This time out, she celebrates that relationship with “Deana Sings Dino: A Tribute to Her Father.” Pianist/arranger John Proulx conducts. Vitello’s. http://www.vitellosrestaurant.com (818) 769-0905.
– May 4. (Sat.) Brad Mehldau and The Bad Plus with special guest Joshua Redman. Three of the contemporary jazz world’s most cutting edge musical entities get together for a compelling evening of wide open improvisational exploration. A CAP UCLA concert at Royce Hall. http://cap.ucla.edu (310) 825-4321.
– May 5. (Sun.) The Playboy Jazz Festival’s Free Community Concert in Beverly Hills. Featuring the New Jump Blues Band with Antonio Fargas. He’s best known for his role as Huggy Bear in Starsky and Hutch¸but he’s currently leading the New Jump Blues band in their dynamic romps through jazz, blues, calypso and a lot more. Also on the bill: the Beverly Hills High School Jazz Band under the direction of Bill Bradbury. The Beverly Hills Civic Center Plaza. Playboy Festival Hotline: (310) 450-1173. http://www.playboyjazzfestival.com/events2013.html
– May 5. (Sun.) Gerald Wilson Orchestra. 94 year old Gerald Wilson is still a compelling band leader, inspiring vitality and swing in his large jazz ensemble whenever he steps to the front of the stage and gives a down beat. Hear him at every opportunity, and anticipate the pleasures of his memorable compositions and arrangements as well. Catalina Bar & Grill. http://www.catalinajazzclub.com (323) 466-2210.
– May 5. (Sun.) 2nd Annual Los Lobos Cinco de Mayo Festival. The Greek Theatre 2013 schedule begins with a spectacular line-up of Southland favorites, Los Lobos, Robert Randolph, Los Super 7, Willie G of The Midnighters. The full day of music and celebration begins at 3 p.m. The Greek Theatre. http://www.greektheatrela.com/events/event_details.asp?id=2516 (323) 665-5857.
* * * * * * *
Billy Childs photo by Bonnie Perkinson.