By Don Heckman
– June 5. (Wed.) Barbara Morrison. Despite her difficult medical problems, the courageous, musically versatile Ms. Morrison continues to make her ever-appealing singing available to Los Angeles audiences. Herb Alpert’s Vibrato Grill Jazz…etc. (310) 474-9400. She also performs at Steamers in Fullerton on June 7 & 8 (Fri. & Sat.). (714) 871-8800.
– June 5. (Wed.) Sally Kellerman. Hot Lips is back again to display her inimitable way with a song. She’s backed by the superb support of the Andy Langham Trio. Vitello’s. (818) 769-0905.
– June 6. (Thurs.) The Josh Nelson Trio with Anthony Wilson. Pianist Nelson, one of the Southland’s important first-call players, is always a pleasure to hear with his own trio – especially when gifted guitarist Wilson is a musical guest.. Vitello’s. (818) 769-0905.
– June 6. (Thurs.) Joanne Tatham. “Soundtrack New York” Music From Movies Made in Manhattan.” Vocalist Tatham, adept at both cabaret and jazz has created a program of appealing songs based on an intriguing premise. Catalina Bar & Grill. http://www.catalinajazzclub.com (323) 466-2210.
– June 7. (Fri.) The Jon Mayer Trio with Jackie Ryan. It’s a great combination: Pianist Mayer’s far-ranging versatility, rooted in his deeply authentic jazz skills; and Ryan’s similarly sophisticated musicality and lyrical story-telling qualities. Hear them together in this rare booking. Click HERE to read a recent iRoM review of Jackie Ryan. Jazz at LACMA. (323) 857-6000.
– June 7. (Fri.) Dolores Scozzesi and Mark Winkler. “The Great Singer/Songwriters of the Seventies.” Scozzesi and Winkler sing the songs of Laura Nyro, Joni Mitchell, Randy Newman and more. Vitello’s. (818) 769-0905.
– June 7. (Fri.) Prairie Home Companion. The entertaining Garrison Keillor and his live radio-in-living-color program make one of their rare appearances in the Southland. The Greek Theatre. (323) 665-5857.
– June 8. (Sat.) An Evening with Rufus Wainwright. Singer/songwriter has an impressive lineage: Loudon Wainwright III is his father; Kate McGarrigle is his mother. But he has already established a musical voice of his own. Valley Performing Arts Center. (818) 677-8800.
– June 8. (Sat.) Brenda Russell. The musically eclectic singer/songwriter Russell, whose career has moved through soul, pop, jazz and dance genres, is also a gifted lyricist and songwriter. Catalina Bar & Grill. http://www.catalinajazzclub.com (323) 466-2210.
– June 8. (Sat.) Andrea Bocelli. The hugely popular Italian singer performs with soprano Maria Aleida and the Los Angeles Festival Orchestra, conducted by Eugene Kohn. (Note that this is a lease event.) The Hollywood Bowl. (323) 850-2000.
– June 9. (Sun.) Bill Cosby. The wit, the humor and the engaging personality of Bill Cosby are irresistible. Retired from his role as emcee of the Playboy Jazz Festival, he performs in Los Angles a week before this year’s Festival takes place. Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts. (562) 916-8501.
– June 6 – 9. (Thurs. – Sun.) Steve Turre Quartet. Trombonist Turre is always a pleasure to hear, whether he’s playing his primary instrument or displaying his remarkable ability to make music from conch shells. Jazz Showcase. (312) 360-0234.
– June 7 – 9. (Fri. – Sun.) Tuck & Patti. After more than three decades together, the duo of guitarist Tuck and singer Patti (who were married in 1983) continue to make remarkable music together. Click HERE to read a recent iRoM review of Tuck & Patti in an L.A. performance. Blues Alley. (202) 337-4141.
New York City
June 5 – 9. (Wed. – Sun.) Stefano Bollani Trio and the Paolo Fresu-Uri Caine Duo. An evening of prime jazz from some of Italy’s world-class artists, sponsored by Umbria Jazz and the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Birdland. (212) 581-3080.
– Junes 7. (Friday) Hugo Rasmussen Trio. Bassist Rasmussen, an icon of Danish jazz, blends his masterful musical maturity with the youthful energies of tenor saxophonist Jakob Dinesen, pianist Heine Hansen and drummer Morten Ero. Jazzhus Montmartre. +45 31 72 34 94.
– June 6 – 8. (Thurs. – Sat.) Chick Corea/Stanley Clarke Trio with drummer Marcus Gilmore. All-star trios don’t get any better than this one combining the long-term creative linkage of Corea and Clarke with the enthusiastic drumming of Gilmore. Blue Note Tokyo. 6 +81 3-5485-0088.
* * * * * * * *
Barbara Morrison photo by Bonnie Perkinson.
Jackie Ryan photo and Tuck & Patti photo by Faith Frenz.